Sunday, November 21, 2010

Winter Cold is Headed Our Way!

The weatherman is forecasting temperatures in the low single digits this week.  I'd say Jack Frost is definitely nipping at our heels, wouldn't you?

Tomorrow the kids and I will be adding the plastic to our windows.  (Skeptics take note:  Adding window insulation helps get rid of drafts and lowers heating bills...even if  your home is relatively new.)

We've tried a number of different brands, but have come back to 3M Window Insulation kits for consistent quality and sealant tape that does lift off at the end of the season.

Bedtime when the temperatures drop sees a line at the microwave, too.   Why?  Because we all have bed warmers.  I made these bed warmers a few years ago and now we swear by them.



Each is filled with rice and a little bit essential oil. You put them in the microwave for 1-3 minutes and they become radiant heat packs. I made pocket warmers, a bed warmer, and two other warmers that I'm told by Superman and Buttercup are "neck warmers". Now, I don't know about you, but my neck never gets particularly cold...I was planning on using them as foot warmers, but, hey, I can be flexible. Anyway, everything was made out of scrap fabric: the two solid color ones were made out of the extra sweatshirt material I had from making those nightgowns I told you about, the pocket warmers were made out of leftover fabric from little gift bags I made, and the bed warmer is from flannel I had leftover from making Buttercup some pajama pants. These are really, really cool and if you tend to be cold, I highly recommend taking the ten minutes to make one or three.

The kids new winter coats and snow pants are ready and waiting...those kids keep growing, darn it.  The mittens and scarves have come out of  storage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I swear by those insulating kits here. Our windows are older and they leak air, and we have a lot of neighbors that MUST burn something every single day. That kills my migraines, so I put the plastic up. I leave it year round and only replace it when the tape gives out. The thing I like about it is once it's on and the curtains are back up, you can hardly tell it's there. Hence the head marks in a few windows where the kids tried to look out, not realizing the plastic was there. Hasn't helped our electric bill much, but the house does warm up and cool down a lot faster so I can imagine somewhere that gets the weather you guys do would really save.