Tuesday, November 2, 2010

New Use for my Pressure Cooker

I told you that I've been making a lot of Caramel Corn, which means I've been making a lot of popcorn.   My popcorn popper died last year and I've been making popcorn on my stove top ever since.  With mixed results.  Sometimes the popcorn would be perfect, sometimes it would be soggy.  Sometimes it would all cook and sometimes only half would cook.

Then it occurred to me to try my pressure cooker.  It seemed to me that the steam release from the pressure cooker lid would be perfect for releasing the right amount of steam from the popping corn.  It worked!  I couldn't believe it.  In the six batches I've made since the first time (not all of them were caramel corn!), I have gotten perfect popcorn every time.  Every, single time.



So, if you've got a pressure cooker and you like making popcorn, you should give it a try...oh, and notice that I don't put the weight on the top when I make the popcorn.  As you can imagine, I won't be buying a new popcorn popper.



Oh, and if you're interested, I use 2-3 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 cup of popcorn.  Another common item with a new use...I love it!

5 comments:

Ott, A. said...

What a great idea. I am definitely going to give this a try, plus I'm always looking for new ways to use my pressure canner.

Clark said...

Okay, this is way cool! How do you pop it though? Do you just shake it back and forth on the stove?

Erin said...

Yep, you just shake it back and forth, just like a regular pan or a whirly pop.

Anonymous said...

Is it better than air popped, because air popped to me tastes really dry. But I HATE, yes HATE microwave popcorn. I just don't care for the greasy taste of it. I've tried every brand and they are all too greasy for my liking. I need something in the middle. Don't have a pressure cooker though. Maybe I can find one at the thrift store when I go Christmas shopping.

Unknown said...

My Grandma always used to make it in the pressure cooker, and it always came out perfect. Today,at a thrift store, I found an old Presto 4 qt. pressure cooker, missing the air pressure valve. Perfet for making popcorn. I usually use olive oil as it is healthier than most other oils.