Saturday, September 12, 2009

Snickerdoodles for Friday Delight!


When I was a little girl, I loved Snickerdoodles. My mom never made them at home, so I thought you had to get them at a bakery. They were a special treat. Now that I'm the mom, I'm discovering so many of those special treats are things I can make at home, so I do. This Snickerdoodle recipe is quick and easy, as long as you remember to allow at least 1 hour for the dough to chill before baking. (Since I was thinking on Wednesday, what I'd be making for Superman to take for Friday Delight, I remembered to allow the time to chill the dough.) I have no idea where I got the recipe, but it is definitely a keeper. (If you recognize it and know where it originally came from, please let me know.)

Snickerdoodles

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened (I used salted)
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon

Instructions:
1. In a medium sized bowl, beat the butter for about 30 seconds on medium speed. Add the sugar, baking soda and cream of tartar, beating until well mixed. Slowly beat in the egg and vanilla until well incorporated. Beat in the flour 1/2 C at a time.

2. When all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour in the fridge.

3. Pre-heat the oven to 375.

4. In a bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Take enough dough to shape into 1" balls. (I used my Pampered Chef medium scooper.)

5. Roll each ball in the sugar cinnamon mixture and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cook for approximately 10 minutes.

Cool and serve!

The kids loved them, Superman's colleagues seemed to like them, so I'd say they were a hit!

5 comments:

Melissa Henning said...

well, now you've gone and done it. lol I'm j/k. These look great. I'm probably going to make them for my hubby and son.

DarcyLee said...

Yum! Love Snickerdoodles.

Anonymous said...

I freeze mine too. These are my son's favorite, and I ball them up and freeze them since I have the fixings for cinnamon toast made all the time.

Clark said...

hmmmm...I did not realize how much I love Snickerdoodles. I am torn in my thinking if they are better fresh out of the oven of the next day.

Anonymous said...

Fresh out of the oven, hands down.

I actually don't eat a lot of sweets, cross between watching my figure and not liking them, but warm, oven-y goodness...oh yes.