Monday, January 26, 2009

Invaders, Heat Packs, and Oops!

You can never be too careful with an unmade bed in this house...there is always someone willing to take nap! Look at what happened when I left my bed unmade because I decided to just put the sheets back on the bed after they made it through the laundry this morning. I came upstairs with an armful of freshly washed sheets only to find out my bed had been commandeered by bed sloths!...and with a fuzzy pink blanket! What is up with that? They even had the nerve to express outrage when I kicked them out to make the bed. I guess I'll just need to be more vigilant in the future...these things can become a habit!


Look at these heat packs I made! Each is filled with rice and a little bit (in some cases, too much!) essential oil. You put them in the microwave for a minute or so and they become radiant heat packs. I made pocket warmers, a bed warmer, and two other warmers that I'm told by Superman and Buttercup are "neck warmers". Now, I don't know about you, but my neck never gets particularly cold...I was planning on using them as foot warmers, but, hey, I can be flexible. Anyway, everything was made out of scrap fabric: the two solid color ones were made out of the extra sweatshirt material I had from making those nightgowns I told you about, the pocket warmers were made out of leftover fabric from little gift bags I made, and the bed warmer is from flannel I had leftover from making Buttercup some pajama pants. These are really, really cool and if you tend to be cold, I highly recommend taking the ten minutes to make one!

Now, for our reality check. Not everything goes smoothly at the Nagle household. No, it really doesn't. I decided it was time to wash one of the couch covers that we had dyed brown (Klippan from Ikea, just in case you were wondering). I decided it would be advisable to wash it by itself JUST IN CASE any more dye came out of the fabric, so I tossed the slipcover into an empty washer...or so I thought. I thought wrong! Look at what happened to one of my formerly white ski socks and one of Valiant's formerly white socks and one formerly white washcloth!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that first picture also contained a giggle or two. #3 got a pink sock monkey for Christmas and he has been everywhere with her since. He does make a pretty good pillow though, so those guys might outta watch out.

Shopaholic in rehab said...

Great idea for scrap material; I was just going to throw away a sheet but now I might just save it for heat packs! I'm always freezing. I would love to put one in the microwave while I get ready for bed and toss it on my cold sheets!

Besides rice and smell good oil is there anything else I need to put in there?

Anonymous said...

Those bed sloths!!! That is so rude. Don't they know to ask before they take someones bed. Now about the warmers, personally I think it was a great idea that use left over and base materials. It uses scrap material(which you have a lot of),rice, a item used in baking, and a microwave, which is easily available. With the nicely colored socks you can call it a dying experiment gone wrong or you wanted to see the color.
You have a ton of great ideas that must really help out around your house. Pleasure reading your blog!!

Erin said...

Olivia, just sent you an email with details, but all you need is uncooked rice and a few drops of scented oil. Easy peasy!

Anonymous said...

Don't get mad at the bed sloths they were just doing there job.I mean come on people you wouldn't want someone geting you fired from your job.

Erin said...

I certainly wouldn't want to get anyone fired from their jobs...bed sloth is an important function in our family.

momstheword said...

Boy if it's not one thing it's another bed sloth.....! Love the heat packs!

Clark said...

Hey! Where can I sign up for a sugar momma so I can be a bed sloth?