Tuesday, January 13, 2009

French Toast Waffles...


Okay, so the recipe says Waffle Iron French Toast, but I've been saying it backwards since I first found it, so now it sounds better that way to me...so French Toast Waffles they are...

I found this recipe at Five Fork Easy Peasy recipes and it was (easy peasy, that is)! All you do it take sliced bread, dip it in the egg mixture, and put it your waffle iron. It was much easier to clean up than waffles are, too. Confession: I hesitated to try this recipe because I hate cleaning my waffle iron. I don't know why, but I consider it a total pain. It was worth the effort.

French Toast Waffles

Ingredients:
6 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice [I substituted cinnamon here...it was what I had.]
1 teaspoon vanilla extract [Oh, please!...more, more, more!]
2 tablespoon melted butter
10 slices of your favorite bread (bread should be thick slices about 1 1/4 inch)

Directions
1.Preheat a waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Spray the surface with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In a bowl, using a whisk, beat the eggs until frothy. Add the milk, butter, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and sugar whisk until blended.

3. Dip 1 bread slice into the egg mixture and soak, turning once, 30 seconds per side. Place the bread on the preheated waffle maker, close the lid and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Keep warm while cooking the remaining bread.

4. Serve the French toast warm with syrup.

Notes: It says 10 slices of bread and we got five out of this recipe. I think I let my bread soak too long in the egg mixture, so each slice had more egg than the recipe intended. This was really fantastic with homemade bread that has gotten a little stale. (Then again, French Toast is always better with stiffer breads.) You might have to trim the egg part off the "waffle" when you serve it to the kids...Buttercup kept saying it seemed to be "missing something" and I realized she was only getting cooked egg mixture in her bites. So, she was missing the whole French Toast Waffle part!

Michelle at Five Forks even has recipes for flavored butter, but that wouldn't fly in this house...

1 comment:

momstheword said...

Wow, I had never thought of making french toast on a waffle iron! Sounds yummy!

You hit the nail on the head (regarding your comment). It is a progression and for some people it comes real fast (like when my husband was out of work for a year).